Emotional Wellbeing: What Does it Mean and Why is it Important?
Sep 16, 2020 by Danielle Andersen
Exercise and eating healthy come to mind when your doctor talks about physical health. But what about your emotional health? Emotional wellbeing is another part of the seven dimensions of wellness, allowing you to successfully handle life’s many stressors and adapt to change and difficult times.
Taking care of your emotional health is imperative to living a vigorous, active lifestyle. You’ll be more capable of controlling your thoughts and feelings and adequately coping with the challenges life throws your way. When you have a strong emotional state of wellbeing, you’ll be able to put the best version of yourself into everything you do.
Since knowing how to care for your emotional wellbeing isn’t as intuitive as your physical wellbeing, Knute Nelson is here to help with 5 key ways you can keep maintain your emotional health.
5 Ways to Practice Emotional Wellbeing for Seniors
In accordance with the National Institutes of Health, we recommend the following ways you can actively improve your emotional wellbeing:
- Reduce Your Overall Stress. Stress is a normal part of life and something that everyone experiences from time to time. However, persistent and ongoing stress can cause harmful changes to your body. Stress over a long period of time can lead to problems with your heart and blood vessels and even increase your risk for a heart attack or stroke. Managing your stress can help improve your emotional wellbeing by reducing your risk of negative health effects. Take time to exercise, eat healthy and stay hydrated to help reduce your stress levels.
- Develop a Positive Outlook on Life. When you have good emotional health, you tend to have fewer negative emotions and bounce back quicker from difficult situations. Try your best to be present in the moment and to have a positive outlook on life. A great way to adopt a new, positive mindset is through yoga and meditation. Both have been proven to help naturally reduce feelings of anxiety, stress and depression. Adding yoga or meditation to your weekly routine can help boost your levels of emotional wellbeing and encourage you to appreciate the good times more.
- Get a Good Amount of Sleep. Sleep is so important to your overall wellbeing, but is especially important for your emotional health. Getting enough sleep every night can help you think more clearly, focus better and help you feel refreshed to take on each day. Ideally, you should aim to get 7-8 hours of sleep each night. You should also try to go to sleep and wake up at consistent times each day to help your body and mind maintain a regular schedule.
- Create Strong Social Connections. Being socially active is imperative to your emotional wellbeing because strong social connections and healthy relationships can help you feel more fulfilled. Studies have shown that being regularly socially active encourages you to adopt healthier behavioral traits and habits, which in turn lead to a healthier mindset and lifestyle.
- Be Mindful. Being mindful simply means being aware of what’s happening in the present moment. Slowing down and truly trying to enjoy each and every moment instead of worrying about what comes next is beneficial for your emotional wellbeing. Studies have shown that when you practice mindfulness, you may be better able to manage stress and reduce levels of anxiety and depression.
How Knute Nelson Prioritizes Emotional Wellbeing
When you become a resident of our independent living communities at either Grand Arbor or Crystal Brook Senior Living, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to enhance your emotional wellbeing. We provide you with a multitude of activities and experiences, all designed to help you live a well-rounded lifestyle.
At Knute Nelson, we truly understand the importance of taking care of both your mind and body. Our dedicated staff work hard to create interesting and engaging activities to make sure there’s something that interests everyone. From arts and crafts to Bible study and reading clubs, you can always count on having a social activity to enjoy with neighbors and friends to help you practice your emotional wellbeing.
Maintain Your Emotional Wellbeing at Knute Nelson
At Knute Nelson, our mission is to enrich the lives of every individual that we serve. At our independent living communities, we offer maintenance-free living where you can do more of what you enjoy and live a relaxing, fulfilling lifestyle. From engaging social programs that you can enjoy with others to your own wellness membership, we provide the living amenities and services you need to maintain your emotional wellbeing.
To learn more about our variety of wellness activities, senior living options and services, please contact us today.