Importance of Staying Active for Seniors
Jul 31, 2020 by Danielle Andersen
When you live an active lifestyle, you are helping to improve your overall mental and physical health. When you make a point to exercise regularly, you can actively improve your strength and mobility and even increase your mental capacity and boost your overall mood. When you make exercise a regular part of your weekly routine, you can also help prevent yourself from physical and emotional problems and memory decline.
When make exercise a part of your everyday routine, you are promoting good physical wellness. Physical wellness is your ability to maintain a healthy quality of life that allows you to get through daily activities without fatigue or physical stress. When you practice good physical wellness, it can lead to psychological benefits and can help you enjoy your retirement years more fully.
4 Senior Friendly Exercises You Can Do at Home
- Go for a Walk. This might be the simplest way you can stay active. The distance and length of the walk don’t necessarily matter, as long as you’re moving the entire time. You can walk in place indoors, or if you’re able to walk outside, safely around your community that is also a great opportunity for you to get some fresh air and sunlight.
- Yoga. Yoga is one of the best ways seniors can stay limber and improve the flexibility in their joints. Yoga focuses on balance, strength and flexibility and there are a variety of different levels of yoga classes based on your experience. YouTube is a great source for a variety of free yoga classes.
- Stretching Exercises. Stretching is a great way to reduce the decline in your joint flexibility, improve your coordination and help you relieve any muscle tension or pain you may be experiencing. If you’re not sure where to start, there are a variety of free stretching exercises available on YouTube to follow along with.
- Watch a Knute Nelson Wellness On-Demand Class Video. During these unprecedented times, Knute Nelson is offering all residents Wellness On-Demand class exercise videos that are taught by our own instructors. These videos are available to you and allow you to participate in the comfort of your own home. You can virtually sign in and get started with whatever class interests you the most.
Live and Age Well at Knute Nelson
No matter which Knute Nelson community you call home, you can rest assured knowing that there will always be a variety of engaging opportunities and activities available to you. Our activities staff work hard to create interesting, fun activities for all of our residents to enjoy.
The goal of our activities is to connect people with similar interests and help create meaningful new friendships amongst residents. We offer activities that engage both your mind and body.
At Knute Nelson, we understand that activities that stimulate your brain are beneficial and help improve your cognitive ability, that’s why we have a full list of mind focused activities:
- Games and puzzles
- Cooking and baking
- Bible study
- Scenic drives and excursions
- Arts and crafts
We also understand that engaging in physical activities can help build your muscles, improve your balance and even help prevent you from experiencing a fall. We offer different levels of physical activities for all residents, so there is truly something for everyone to partake in. Some of our physical activities focused on the body include:
- Morning exercise
- Chair yoga
- Swimming and water aerobics (Nelson Wellness Center - Grand Arbor)
- Walking groups
- Exercise classes
- Exercise equipment and weights (Nelson Wellness Center - Both Locations)
In addition to our regular list of activities, all of our residents can also take advantage of the wellness centers we have at Nelson Gables and Grand Arbor.
The Nelson Wellness Centers are our state-of-the-art facilities that help residents build strength, balance and improve their overall wellbeing. Our Wellness Centers include:
- Cardiovascular strength room with equipment
- Classroom studio with bars
- Personal Trainers
- HydroRider bikes
- And much more!
To learn more about all of the activities we offer and how you can live a healthy, active lifestyle at Knute Nelson, contact us today at 320-759-4613 or by filling out this form.