When is it Time to Move to Independent Living?
Aug 26, 2020 by Danielle Andersen
Close your eyes for a moment and picture how you’d ideally like to spend your golden years. What do those days look like? We bet your thoughts of an idyllic retirement don’t include long to-do lists of home maintenance and outlandish utility bills.
Instead, you want to curl up in a comfy chair with a bestseller, enjoy a relaxed afternoon outing with your children and grandchildren and devote attention to a renewed passion like gardening or painting. All of this is possible at an independent living community. But is independent living right for you and when should you consider a retirement community?
5 Signs that You Should Consider Independent Living
It’s never too early to begin your search for an independent living community because of the incredible benefits offered. In fact, the first year of the Mather Institute 5-year study found that residents of life plan communities tend to have higher levels of health and wellness compared to older adults living in the general community.
So, as you’re planning your retirement, the following 5 signs may indicate that an independent living community is the best fit for you:
- Home Maintenance Has Become a Nuisance. Is your roof leaking again from last winter’s snow fall? Do you spend a lot of time mowing your lawn and keeping your yard presentable? Maintaining a home takes a lot of time, effort and money. At an independent living community like Grand Arbor or Crystal Brook Senior Living, home maintenance becomes a thing of the past and you can do more of what you actually enjoy.
- You Want to Spend Your Money on Predictable Costs. Broken appliances and unexpectedly high utility bills happen from time to time. The challenge is when these costs cut into your retirement budget that you would prefer to use on travel, activities you enjoy and your health. At an independent living community like those offered by Knute Nelson, utilities are included and you won’t have to worry about covering the cost of a broken refrigerator or other appliance.
- You Want to Socialize More. You may be feeling lonely or isolated in your house if the weather makes it difficult to drive or if loved ones have moved away. An independent living community gives you a chance to make new friends and get that social interaction you’ve been craving. At Knute Nelson’s independent living communities, there are social programs and events to keep you busy and feeling fulfilled.
- You Spend More Time than You’d Like Doing Chores. Does it feel like you’re constantly dusting furniture, vacuuming carpets and straightening up the house? The time used for these chores could be spent hanging out with your kids and grandkids, reading a good book, gardening, exercising or pursuing some other activity you enjoy.
- You Want to Pursue a Healthier Lifestyle. Do you find yourself not eating as healthy as you used to because grocery shopping and cooking take too long? Maybe you don’t exercise as often as you’d like because you struggle to find the time for it. An independent living community can help you live a healthier lifestyle. At Knute Nelson’s independent living communities, you can enjoy a wellness membership and various dining options that offer healthy eating options. Amenities like these can ensure you live your very best in your retirement years.
Thrive at Knute Nelson’s Independent Living Communities
At Knute Nelson, say goodbye to snow maintenance and other pesky homeownership tasks. At our maintenance-free independent living communities – Grand Arbor and Crystal Brook Senior Living – you get to live each and every day how you want to. We offer a wide array of comfortable apartment floor plans to choose from, including one-bedrooms, two-bedrooms and two-bedrooms plus dens.
There’s no more shoveling snow or fighting with home appliances that are on their last leg. Instead, you can savor a delicious and healthy continental breakfast every morning, socialize at community events and participate in activities that bring you joy and fulfillment.
If you’re looking for just the right place to enjoy your golden years, contact us or schedule a visit today to learn more about our independent living communities!