Seasonal allergies are incredibly common and something that millions of people experience every year. If you find yourself coughing, sneezing, experiencing congestion, or other bothersome symptoms this time of year - you’re not alone. Once the flowers bud and the trees bloom, allergens such as pollen begin to fill the air. An allergy occurs when your immune system overreacts to an otherwise harmless substance.
When you experience an allergy, your body produces antibodies that release histamine and other chemicals. Histamines are what cause you to experience symptoms such as facial swelling and sneezing. The good news is, finding springtime allergy relief can be quite simple if you take proper precautions and follow certain steps.
5 Ways to Avoid Spring Allergies
Here are different tips on how to avoid springtime allergies this season:
- Reduce Your Exposure to Allergens – Make sure you really pay attention to different weather patterns and select days where the weather will be appropriate to complete outdoor activities. For instance, if you see that a day will be particularly windy, you may want to stay indoors to avoid pollen being blown on you. When you do spend time outdoors, consider wearing a pollen mask to avoid pollen entering your nose and mouth.
- Keep the Air in Your Home Clean – Taking steps to reduce the number of allergens in the air in your home can help you to avoid having an allergy flare up. To keep the air clean in your home, you can buy a dehumidifier to help keep air dry, use a portable high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter, and try to use air conditioning when your indoors.
- Pay Attention to Pollen Counts – Pollen is thought to be the main contributor to springtime allergies. When there is a large amount of pollen in the air, allergy symptoms can flare up. It may be beneficial for you to pay attention to your local TV station, or wherever you get your news, so you know when pollen levels will be higher. If pollen counts will be high, you should take proper precautions to limit your exposure.
- Rinse Your Sinuses Regularly – Rinsing out your nasal passages with a saline solution every day is a quick, effective way to relieve any nasal congestion you’re experiencing. When you rinse out your nose, you’re directly flushing out mucus and allergens and helping to keep yourself healthy.
- Identify Your Specific Allergies – It can be hard to treat your allergy symptoms if you aren’t sure what exactly is causing you to have a flare up. There are so many different allergens that are present in the air during springtime and your best bet to avoiding them is to know which ones you’re allergic to. To do this, try and take note of allergies you had in previous years or consider using an allergen test to narrow down which allergens impact you.
How to Manage Springtime Allergies
If you do find yourself dealing with springtime allergy symptoms, there are a few different ways you can manage your symptoms.
- Over-the-Counter Medication – Before using any medication, it is always best to consult your doctor and get their input. If your preventative measures to avoid springtime allergies weren’t effective, you may want to try over-the-counter medications to help alleviate any springtime allergy symptoms you may be experiencing. Things such as oral antihistamines, decongestants and nasal sprays can all help to ease your symptoms.
- Consult Your Doctor – If you still find you’re suffering from springtime allergies, it may be a good idea to consult your doctor and seek their professional advice. Your doctor will be able to recommend alternative solutions to your allergy symptoms.
Live a Healthy Lifestyle at Knute Nelson
At Knute Nelson we put the health and wellbeing of all residents at the top of our priority list. Helping residents living and age well is one of our main missions. That’s why we provide every resident a multitude of physical and social activities, as well as access to our wellness center.
Our state-of-the-art facilities and caring staff help all residents build from where they are and achieve any wellness goals they may have. Contact us today at (320) 759-4613 to learn more about all of the different wellness opportunities available for you at Knute Nelson.