An Impressionable and Effective Interview
June 14, 2022
By Brenda Larson
Interview tips and tricks
The impression you make during your interview can sometimes be more memorable than the skills, experience and education you have to offer the position and organization.Your ability to effectively communicate, be relatable, and positively present yourself can leave that lasting impression – the one that helps determine if you are a match, or not a match, for the position and organization.
Being prepared, poised and personable are key factors for a successful job interview. Being genuine during interview conversations can help employers easily relate to you. Here are 5 key takeaways to help set yourself up for success.
1. Research the organization
Understanding key information about the organization you’re interviewing with can help you go into your interview with confidence. Reviewing their website and social media posts will provide a solid understanding of their goals and how your background makes you a great fit.
2. Prepare specific examples
Be prepared with examples of your work. During the interview, you will likely be asked about specific work you’ve completed in relation to the position. After reviewing the job description, think of work you’ve done in past jobs, clubs or volunteer positions that show you have experience and success doing the work they require.
3. Bring your own questions
Having questions of your own shows you have done your research and want to know more about the organization and the position. It also helps to determine if the job and organization are a match for you.
Employers expect you to ask questions: they want to know that you’re thinking seriously about what it would be like to work there. Here are some questions you may want to consider asking:
- Can you explain some of the day-to-day responsibilities of this role?
- How would you describe the characteristics of someone who would succeed in this role?
- If I were in this position, how would my performance be measured? How often?
- What departments does this team work with regularly and how do they collaborate?
- What are the challenges currently facing this role?
Focus on your attributes, your transferable skills, and your willingness to learn. Describe your strengths in terms of what you can do for the organization. Use every opportunity to address the requirements listed in the job description.
5. Close on a positive and enthusiastic note
Ask what the next step will be. Thank the interviewers for their time and express your interest in the job. Ask for the business card of each person in the interview so you can follow up individually with a separate thank you email or note. If you interviewed in the morning, send your follow-up the same day. If you interviewed in the afternoon, the next morning is fine. Make certain that each email/note is distinct from the others to give a personalized message.
Find your next career with Knute Nelson
As you are following step 1 and doing your research, how about we save you some time and give you a little background on Knute Nelson. With the wide array of positions and offerings available, we are confident you can find your perfect match.
- We have our own company health clinic. Scheduling is easy and our providers make time for in-depth one-on-one conversations to determine your best course of care. Services provided within the clinic are of no cost to you if you choose to participate in that health plan.
- If you have a desire to further your career goals, Knute offers scholarship opportunities to help you advance. In 2021, Knute awarded over $202,000 in scholarship dollars to qualified employees. Knute is eager to invest in you.
- We offer a robust benefits program featuring medical, dental, vision, a 403b plan and more.
- The culture at Knute is thriving and alive. Along with our mission to enrich the lives of everyone we serve, Knute shares that mission when it comes to enriching the lives of our employees. Quite often there are activities to celebrate the holidays, employee achievements and community happenings. We like to be a team that is involved!
Find your career match at knutenelson.org/kn-careers.