Helping individuals live and age well in Alexandria, MN.
Our health and wellness center in Alexandria, MN is designed to fulfill our mission of helping individuals live and age well. The Nelson Wellness Center at Grand Arbor is available to community members 45+, YMCA members 45+, residents and employees of Knute Nelson.
Our state-of-the-art facility, caring staff and specialty programming enables members to increase their strength, and remain healthy and active in a unique environment.
About the Nelson Wellness Center
The Nelson Wellness Center at Grand Arbor offers many enhanced features, including:
- Cardiovascular strength room with equipment designed for older adults
- Classroom studio with balance bars
- Whirlpool and warm water pool with ramp entrance
- Pool temperature and depths are specifically designed for classes and aquatic therapy
- Personal trainers
- HydroRider® bikes (water bikes)
- Over 130 weekly group fitness classes for members of the Nelson Wellness Center are available at Grand Arbor and the Alexandria Area YMCA
5:00 am-10:00 pm
Hustad Aquatic Center Hours
5:00 am-10:00 pm
Wellness Center Membership
The Nelson Wellness Center is free for all Knute Nelson residents and employees and is open to community members 45+ or those with special conditions.
Nelson Wellness Center costs include:
- Individual: $53/month | Couple: $73/month
- Employees: Free
- Enrollment fee: $50
- No contract
For more information on membership or to schedule a tour, contact us at (320) 335-6635 or visit the Nelson Wellness Center at Grand Arbor at 4403 Pioneer Road SE, Alexandria.
Perk for members: your membership also works at the Alexandria YMCA through the Knute Nelson and YMCA partnership, Partnership +.
Wellness Programming for Every Fitness Level
Our unique programming is designed to ensure each individual can find a group fitness class that meets them where they are at physically and can help them reach their unique wellness goals. Rest assured, we have a class in our warm water pool or on land to meet your needs. In addition, you’ll make new friends who have similar goals and a team of talented trainers who are here to support you every step of the way.
In addition to our more foundational classes like indoor cycling, pilates, active aging, yoga or deep water exercise, among many others, we also offering some unique specialized programming.
Some of our specialized programs include but is not limited to:
- HydroRider®: Water cycling class that’s perfect for any skill level. Buoyancy provides support for your joints and your resistance level is based on your own effort. It’s a full-body cardio workout that provides a unique biking experience for the beginner to the veteran athlete.
- Neurofit: Designed for participants with Neurological disorders to move through a series of exercises with resistance, strength, and cardio.
- Rock Steady Boxing®: Enables people with Parkinson's disease to fight their disease with a non-contact boxing-style program.
- Total Knee & Hip Aqua Class: Whether you are trying to increase strength and flexibility in preparation for your scheduled knee or hip surgery or after your total knee or hip replacement, continue your road to recovery and wellness.
You can view one of our class schedules above for a complete list of our class offerings.
Benefits of Warm Water Aquatics
The Nelson Wellness Center’s warm water pool at Grand Arbor is heated to a pleasant 88-89 degrees. Not only does this make the pool enjoyable to exercise in, but it is also the ideal environment for relieving pain and stiffness.
Additional therapeutic benefits include:
- Less compression on joints than on land
- Increase in ability to move against gravity
- Hydrostatic pressure
- Decreased pain and edema
- Relaxation of muscles
- Increased range of motion
- Water resistance allows progressive strength and balance training
- Benefits muscle tone
Enjoy the warm water pool while increasing your strength, flexibility and balance.
Call us today at (320) 335-6635 or visit the Nelson Wellness Center at Grand Arbor at 4403 Pioneer Road SE, Alexandria, and we can help develop a plan that checks all your boxes.